3.03.2009

NCAA chances are slim for Pack

Ok, so I've been thinking since Sunday night and the Maryland game. I've been thinking about N.C. State's season and how it stacks up with the rest of the ACC. 

In my last post, I made reference to State still having a chance at making the big dance if they win out and make a run in the tournament. After looking at the schedule and what the Wolfpack has done, I must retract that assertion. 

State has one very solid win the entire year, against Wake Forest in Raleigh. Every other win has come against a team State should probably beat. The Miami victory in Raleigh is a good win, but it's not great. But aside from those two victories, what has State done to make it self deserving of an NCAA birth. Not much from what I can tell, unless I'm looking at a different schedule. 

Now the Pack has played good teams close, repetedly. Close losses to Davidson, Marquette and Florida prove that State can play. Unfortunately, the NCAA selection committee needs a little more than a bunch of close losses to give a team an at large birth. 

At this point, at least in my opinion, State has to win the ACC tournament to get in. It's that simple. Now if they had beaten Maryland, won out and finished 8-8, maybe they have an argument. But not after Sunday's loss. I just don't see it. 

There are too many teams ahead of the Pack at this point to make a strong argument for N.C. State. Every single club ahead of State in the standings has a better resume, period. It's going to take some serious work in Atlanta for the Wolfpack to change that. I can't wait to see if the Pack can do it. 

Restrained optimism, that's the feeling I have for the final two games and the tournament. There is no doubt this team can play with the big boys, but will it?

No comments:

Post a Comment