3.07.2009

Miami here we come...



I've been thinking a lot about Saturday's game with Miami since I watched the Boston College performance the other night, and I must say, I feel pretty good about where State is at this point in the season.

Obviously the Pack are not where I would like them to be as far as conference record goes, but to be where they are after the atrocious start to the year, I'll take 6-9.


As for Miami, the Hurricanes most certainly are the most disappointing team in the entire ACC, without question. How they got to 6-9 and potentially 6-10 I'll never know. I was listening to 850 the Buzz the other morning and one of the anchors called Haith the anti-ACC Coach of the Year. I must say I agree with that wholeheartedly. How he let a team which started the year 14-4 fall so far is beyond me. Maybe I'm just missing something really obvious, but I don't think so.


Anyway, back to the game that will not only secure ninth place in the ACC, but a potential second round matchup with the Tar Heels in Atlanta. Yes, I know they haven't won the regular season crown yet, but they will. Mark it down. Carolina by 12 Sunday over the Dukies.


Since Sidney went to the bigger lineup in late January, State has been more consistent and at times even potent offensively. I feel like Saturday's game, even without Courtney Fells in the lineup, will be another opportunity for State to get some points on the board. The Hurricanes have been a solid defensive team but the game earlier this season was the beginning of State's increased scoring efforts.


The 84 points the Pack put up on the Canes that night, even with the overtime, was no fluke. Since that victory, State is averaging just over 78 points per game.


I will probably be completely wrong on this, Saturday's game will finish 52-50 just because I opened my mouth. But I really believe the game has the potential to become a higher scoring affair.


The biggest challenge for State will be what player(s) can guard, or at least attempt to guard, Jack McClinton. The scoring guard is averaging just under 20 points on the season and has the ability to go for 30 plus every time he steps on a court. Whoever ends up guarding him, they better be ready to play. If McClinton gets off and has a big day, that is not good news for the Wolfpack.


I'd like to think State will continue to get the ball inside as they have done in the last few games. With Fells out, this seems like it will be the case even more.


If the Pack continue the solid, turnover reduced offensive style it's layed lately and can hold McClinton to about 15, things will turn out OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment