3.23.2009

A chalky first weekend

The first four days of March Madness are done and the Sweet 16, which kicks off this Thursday, is dominated by high-seeded teams. The top three seeds within each of the four reasons are all left and frankly I think that's great. 

I've heard a lot of talk on ESPN yesterday and today about how this is potentially bad for the tournament because people will lose interest. I call BS. This type of situation makes me want to watch even more. I can't wait to watch the best teams play each other and figure out who the best team is. Seeing the Cleveland State's of the world make deep runs in the tournament is great but eventually those teams lose to a big power and the world returns to normal. This way there won't be any wondering about George Mason or Davidson's ability to win it all. We'll just get to see the best teams battle it out. 

There is no real underdog left in the entire bracket. Arizona is a 12 seed but has considereable talent and could definitely make a run. The team I believe to be the biggest longshot at this point, regardless of seed, is Purdue. I just can't see them winning four more games. Every other team, including Arizona, can get the job done during the next two weeks and raise the trophy in early April. 

I'm going to think some more about the matchups and games the next couple of days and on Wednesday I'll post some thoughts and predictions for each region. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment